Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development and Finance Corporation
Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development and Finance Corporation (KUIDFC) was incorporated as a public limited company under the Companies Act, 1956 on 02.11.1993 with the objects to prepare, formulate and implement projects, schemes and programmes relating to infrastructure development in the urban areas of the state and to provide technical, financial, consultancy and other assistance to urban bodies for development, schemes, including implementation of master plans. Considering its expertise in project formulation, appraisal, management and implementation KUIDFC has been appointed as the Nodal Agency of the State for implementation of various urban infrastructure development projects in the state. KUIDFC has secured the status of State Level Financial Institution (SLFI) from the Government of India.
The Directors, who are heading various principal departments / organizations of State Government involved in urban infrastructure development, are appointed by the Government of Karnataka. The Managing Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the Company functioning under the superintendence and control of the Board of Directors and is assisted by a team of professionals and officers from the state cadre.
Project Funding / Agencies
- Government of India
- Government of Karnataka.
- World Bank / Asian Development Bank.
- Nationalized Banks.
- Other Financial Institutions / Financial Markets.
- To prepare, formulate and implement projects, schemes and programmes relating to infrastructure development in the urban areas of the state particularly land development, sanitation, road management, transportation and inter- connected subjects.
- To provide technical and other assistance to urban bodies for development, schemes, including implementation of master plans.
- To extend financial assistance by way of loans and advances to urban bodies such as Corporations and Municipalities, Urban Development Authorities and other local bodies and institution as may be notified by the state government from time to time for their developmental schemes.
- To provide assistance and consultancy services to local bodies, authorities, urban development bodies and such other organizations for improving their technical and internal capacities and financial resources.
KUIDFC has been appointed as the Nodal Agency for implementation of various urban infrastructure projects in the state and acts as State level Nodal Agency for implementation of Government of India Schemes like JNNURM, UIDSSMT, etc. KUIDFC has secured the status of State Level Financial Institution (SLFI) from the Government of India.
As a financial intermediary, KUIDFC procures funds from Government of Karnataka, Government of India, World Bank, ADB and from financial markets and provides financial and technical assistance to all Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) including City Corporations, BBMP, BDA, BWSSB and other such agencies in the form of loans and grants for urban infrastructure Projects taken up by the ULBs.
KUIDFC has taken up key roles as a facilitator and co-ordinator, concentrating on development of urban infrastructure financial market. In this direction, it is planned to initially concentrate on building capacities in ULBs and identification and development of bankable projects.
KUIDFC has also been nominated as the State Level Nodal Agency for the Pooled Finance Development Facility (PFDF) patterned on the US Model by Government of India.
KUIDFC has several key attributes. These include expertise in
- Project formulation, management, implementation and appraisal.
- Infrastructure financing procedures followed by external lending agencies.
Management and control
The Company is managed by Managing Director from the IAS cadre assisted by a team of professional and officers from the state cadre under the overall Supertendance and control of the Board of Directors.
The authorized share capital of the Company is Rs.100 million divided into one million equity shares of Rs.100/- each. The paid up equity capital is Rs.806 million. The shareholders of the Company comprise the Governor of Karnataka, Principal Officers of the Government of Karnataka and the Chief Executive officers of developmental authorities established by the Government of Karnataka.
|Governor of Karnataka||606476|
|Chairman, Bangalore Development Authority, Bengaluru||200001|
|Additional Chief Secretary to Government, Vidhana Soudha, Bengaluru||1|
|Addl. Chief Secretary to Government, Urban Development Department, IV Floor, Vikasa Soudha, Bengaluru.||1|
|Principal Secretary to Government, Finance Department, II Floor, Vidhana Soudha, Bengaluru||1|
|Principal Secretary to Government, Housing Department, II Floor, Vikasa Soudha, Bengaluru||1|
|Secretary to Government, (M & UDA), Urban Development Department, IV Floor, Vikasa Soudha, Bengaluru||1|
|Secretary to Government, (Expenditure) Finance Department, II Floor, Vidhana Soudha,Bengaluru||1|
|Chairman, Bangalore Water Supply & Sewerage Board, Bengaluru||1|
|Metropolitan Commissioner, B.M.R.D.A., LRDE Building, Ali Askar Road, Bengaluru||1|
|Commissioner, Bangalore Development Authority, Bengaluru||1|
|Commissioner, Bruhut Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike, Bengaluru||1|
|Deputy Director, Town Planning, Bangalore Metropolitan Region Development Authority, Ali Asker Road, Bengaluru||1|
Projects or Schemes
The following are the projects implemented by KUIDFC:
External Aided Projects (EAPs)
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) assisted Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development Project (KUIDP).
- ADB assisted Karnataka Urban Development and Coastal Environmental Management Project (KUDCEMP).
- World Bank assisted Karnataka Water Sector Investment Project (KUWASIP).
- World Bank (WB) assisted Karnataka Municipal Reforms Project (KMRP).
- ADB assisted North Karnataka Urban Sector Investment Programme (NKUSIP).
- ADB assisted Karnataka Integrated Urban Water Management Investment Project (KIUWMIP).
- World Bank assisted Karnataka Urban Water Supply Modernization Project (KUWSMP).
- Government of India sponsored Mega City scheme.
- Government of India sponsored Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
- Establishment of Solid Waste (SW) processing plants in municipal limits of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP).
- Government of India sponsored Smart Cities Mission.
- Chief Minister’s Small and Medium Town Development Programme (CMSMTDP).
Karnataka is one of the rapidly urbanising states in India. Nearly one-third of its population about 18 million live in urban areas. GoK required an agency to assess the infrastructure needs of urban areas; formulate projects; to act as a nodal agency to implement government programmes; to raise financial and resources. To fulfil these requirements, Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development and Finance Corporation Limited(KUIDFCL) was established. The Company was registered in November 1993 as a public limited company under the Companies Act, 1956. Since then, the Company is functioning as Main arm of the State Govt relating to urban infrastructure development projects and as Government’s interface with external lending agencies.